Friday, January 16, 2009

This is a hard teaching
Who can accept it?

We tackled the last part of John 6 and a portion of John 7 but what kept us talking awhile was John 6:60: On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"

We spoke about how we sometimes encountered some hard teaching of God, which we do understand, but hard to accept and practice in our lives.

We also spoke about the times when we share the Gospel with others. They understood some of it, but found it hard to accept on the scientific and contextual basis. Scientific, because a lot of things don't make scientific sense, but if you think about it, this is God we are talking about, and he is beyond science, he created it. On contextual basis, what applies then can very well apply now, as we do with many things.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that Jesus had this response:

    "Does this offend you? ... The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life."

    Sometimes the scriptures do not make sense to our heads.. and sometimes we take offense because we do not understand them.. God's words (and His Word) always need to be spiritually (not intellectually) discerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    I frown each time I read this one - because I know there is something here but I cannot yet pin it down. I asked myself - how do we take offense of the Word of God, how do *I* take offense? Jesus in answering the question with "the Spirit gives life ..." -- I need to think further on the connection.

    ReplyDelete