Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Woohoo! I bought 4 books today

I am very happy I found four good ebooks on sale today and with four clicks I bought them. 

Which Bible Translation Should I Use? A Comparison of Four Major Recent Versions
by Andreas J. Kostenberger and David A. Croteau (Eds.)
I have read two books on bible translation but a long, long time ago, probably more than 10 years ago, and as such I don't remember what I read. They are Gordon Fee's How to Choose a Translation for All Its Worth: A Guide to Understanding and Using Bible Versions and David Dewey's Which Bible?: A Guide To English Translations. When I saw this new book, I thought it would be good to update myself on the four major recent translations. I checked the preview of the book, and it turned out that the three versions out of the four are what I am using currently and it had crossed my mind before on how good a translation they are: the NIV, ESV and NLT. I was also recommended the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) and it's the other translation discussed in the book. The authors who penned the chapters include my favourite authors: Douglas Moo, and Wayne Grudem, together with Ray Clendenen, and Philip Comfort. I shall make this my next read. 

How to Have That Difficult Conversation, Gaining the Skills for Honest and Meaningful Communication 
by Henry Cloud and Dr John Townsend
The title attracted me, since I'm an introvert and need as much help as I can get. The book has mostly good reviews on it and I hope this is a good buy. 

Rumi, The Book of Love
Translations and Commentary by Coleman Barks
I have not come across Rumi's poetry much but I usually like what I read. The book comes with an introduction and commentary to his writing and since I don't know much about him, I am looking forward to reading the book. 

Rice, Noodle, Fish: Deep Travels Through Japan's Food Culture
by Matt Goulding
I always like books about food and its culture, and what more this is about one of my favourite cuisines, Japanese. It will be interesting to learn something about it and then visit Japan in the near future. 

pearlie 

No comments:

Post a Comment