Wednesday, November 09, 2016

I have a confession to make

I have to confess. 

I did not keep to my promise of fasting TV for one month. I only lasted for 4 days! 

I got bored over the weekend and after spending Saturday finishing three books, I needed to do something else. 

Yes, I am feeling guilty and I am still trying to keep away from the television. I am trying very hard. I recently noticed quite a number of new good shows in iflix: like The Catch, new season of Quantico, Code Black, and new season of Agent Carter. 

But I'm going to read this evening. I just bought this book yesterday, and have started on it. It feels like a very interesting read.

God is Red, The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China
by Liao Yiwu 

The book is translated by Wenguang Huang and he noted that the author, Liao Yiwu, is "one of the most prominent and outspoken contemporary writers in China today. His epic poem 'Massacre' composed in 1989 in condemnation of the government's bloody crackdown at Tiananmen Square, landed him in jail for four years." He has subsequently been researching the Falun Gong group, and was pursued and investigated by the government as well. 

He got interested in Christians in China as part of his wider project about people living at the margins of society in China today. 

He remains an unbeliever, which in a sense would make the book quite an interesting read from an outsider's point of view but as Huang said, "the journeys brought him kinship with millions of Chinese Christians who are finding meaning in a tumultuous society."

I have just read about 16% of the book and I am looking forward to it. 

So it's looking good so far, to keep me off the television, at least for this evening. 

pearlie 

No comments:

Post a Comment