Saturday, June 11, 2016

I think I have misophonia

I realize I cannot stand repetitive sounds. They drive me up the wall. I woke up this morning to exactly that and it irritated me so much but I couldn't get it to stop. I did not even know what sound it was. It sounded like a drill or a bird but with its steady incessant steady beat, I'm not sure. 

I checked it out online and found that I may have this condition called misophonia. "People with the disorder are not bothered by the loudness of sound — rather, the softer, repetitive, common sounds are the ones that drive them up the wall."1

I found that this is such a common problem that there is a website all about it: www.misophonia.com. There is a self-test available with the different levels of the condition and I think I'm between a level 4 and 5 - not very serious but bad enough for me. 

I am ok with white noise or people talking all around me, like when I'm in a Chinese restaurant which by the way is one of the noisiest places in the ordinary world. But I really get irritated with repetitive sounds that keep to an incessant beat. Argghh!!!

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment