Sunday, June 12, 2016

I can now really study paintings




I wasn't feeling that well today and so I was home. iFlix wasn't working and I checked out the videos in TED and found this: Every piece of art you've ever wanted to see -- up close and searchable by Amir Sood, Director of Google's Cultural Institute and Art Project. 

It's a must-watch. He and his team has basically made most of the priceless art and paintings of the world, about 6 million artifacts, accessible in high definition to anyone with a computer or device and internet connection. Having not visited any art museums before, I had not understood why people can stare at a painting for hours on end. I think I can now understand. 

Take this piece of art for example, a piece I've recently found interest in: The Tower of Babel by Pieter Bruegel the Elder.


Here is how deep you can view in the Google Art and Culture website. This is the bottom left corner of the painting at only about 65% zoom, not even 100%. Look at the high definition detail. It's just amazing. My colleague who is into art tells me she can't even get to see to such detail in a gallery. 


And only now do I see this spot where workers were resting whilst others were still working. 


If you check it out in the website, you'll notice that this painting brings us so many scenes to discover, from the sleepy town to the busy port, and the workers in the tower to the prince of the town. 

Do watch the TED video. There is so much more to it. 

But I had to stop using the website for now because my eyes, which have been deteriorating as I grow older, can't focus anymore. Sigh...the bane of getting old with various parts of the body going from bad to worse. 

But I now have a brand new hobby. Amit Sood said, "It doesn't matter how you get in. Once you get in, you're hooked." I certainly am!

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment