Monday, March 09, 2015

Sweetness of speech and gracious words

I love the book of Proverbs in the Bible, except I haven't yet found a good way of reading it without getting lost.

And I think one of the reasons why I like it now is maybe because I have grown much older.

I encountered something today that made me go straight to the Proverbs. It concerns the way we communicate with each other. Sometimes we do not realise how to speak to others affect them deeply. And Proverbs 6 had this to say:

21 The wise of heart is called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.
22 Good sense is a fountain of life to him who has it, but the instruction of fools is folly.
23 The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious and adds persuasiveness to his lips.
24 Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

To have that graciousness and sweetness of speech, we need a wise and discerning heart, and good sense. When you meet someone with such speaking skills, more often than not, you will find a good and wise person.

You may say that there are those who can sweet talk anyone they meet but their heart is dark and unkind. But I would say that the sweetness will not last very long and you will soon see his true being emerging in harsh and unpleasant talk.

Or simply they are unwise hearts trying to sound wise.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment