Monday, November 17, 2014

Listen! We are not always right

“Everybody thinks their opinion is the right one. If they didn't, they would get a new one. ”
― Anne Lamott

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."
― Socrates

"Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment."
― Proverbs 9:10 (NLT)

I sensed today that it's a sad truth that everyone, including myself at times, always think we are right. Isn't it more prudent to listen and learn from others?

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. I have often said that being right and being righteous is not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I've read that in your blog.
    So true that it's not the same, though it should be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, in the US anyways, folks often express their "right" views in an unrighteous manner. These do harm to the cause of Christ.

    I think that humility should temper the way that we express our views about what is right. For me, the views I once held I hold no more. That alone causes me to be cautious about how I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, being righteous and self-righteous are two different things. And I think it is not only seen in churches or Christian communities, but also in all parts of our lives from school to work to families to politics and more. We both have dialogued on this before - humility :) One of the most challenge virtue for men.

    ReplyDelete