Monday, August 25, 2014

Pearls before swine



"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."
Matthew 7:6 (ESV)

I never thought much about this verse, not until a few years ago when my mentor referred to it when I was frustrated about some people I was with.

And I am again reminded of the verse today.

What it means is that "holy and valuable things (the reference is primarily to teaching, probably) must be given only to those who are able to appreciate them. C.f. Paul's emphasis that only the 'spiritual' can understand spiritual teaching (1 Cor 2:13-16)." (R.T. France, Matthew, Tyndale New Testament Commentary)

And this hits the nail in the head. I find it so frustrating at times when I talk to some people, or in some cases when they talk to me. And sometimes they actually sound like Frank Sinatra's My Way.

I heard that song too many times over karaoke in my early career years, and had hated it so much, and I wouldn't even want to put the words here in my blog.

I would though gladly quote Raymond C. Ortlund Jr. here from his Preaching the Word Series on Proverbs.

In referring to the song he said, "That’s stupid. But it has over three million views on YouTube. We glorify the know-it-all who does it his own way. But the Bible says, “Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him” (Proverbs 26:12)."

So I'll keep my pearls to myself, thank you very much.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. I like what you have written Pearlie. It takes a lot of wisdom to know how much to share with some folks. Vulnerability and transparency is a good and healing thing in the right settings with the right people. In other circumstances folks will use our transparency/vulnerability to wound us instead of help us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true and what Bob said.

    ReplyDelete