Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Impressions

Do you make first impressions of the people you meet for the first time and make your judgment based on what you "see"?

I am not sure if I get it right but apparently, it only takes one-tenth of a second to judge someone and make a first impression. That is quick - as such, how accurate can our first impressions be?

From a speedy check in Wikipedia, when the person present themselves genuinely, our first impressions are pretty accurate. Problems arise when a person feigns emotions or lies. I think that is quite an obvious fact but it is a good reminder.

I attended to an interview today and will be having many more in the next few weeks to fill a position in my department that has become vacant. I am not saying that the person was not genuine but one has to be very careful during interviews. Some are genuine but some put on a facade and it takes some skill to differentiate between the two.

How can one get better at it? I would love to know.

Microexpressions? I was quite interested in this topic a couple of years ago, but did not spend time in pursuing it much. Maybe I should. But it does take a lot of time and practice. Well, nothing is instant, except maybe a packet of 2-minute noodles.

I don't believe in NLP. Body language maybe - with microexpressions as an extension to it. OK, I will need to find some time to dig out the books I got on microexpressions and read them.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment