Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Everything has a price

Pastor Marvin often bring up books that are relevant to the points he makes in his sermon; some books I have read, some I am not so interested in, some tough ones I know I will get lost in and some really interesting ones.

My reading spurt stopped about three weeks ago and I could not find any book that is good enough to keep my attention, until when he talked about an autobiography written by Andre Agassi. It caught my attention.

Open, An Autobiography
by Andre Agassi

I am not a tennis fan. Truth be told, I don't even know how the game is played, that is, I don't know how many sets there are and I don't know how a game is won. Even now, midway through the book.

But it's a good read.

What I learnt is that in everything that we do, there is a price to pay, a cost to carry. Athletes torment and torture their bodies to reach their goals and win tournaments. By the time Agassi retired at age 36, his body is almost a total wreck.

There is always an opportunity cost in all we do.

In the same way, there is a price to pay to be reconciled to God, and Jesus at the cross paid it. But the beauty of it is this - this cost is grace freely given to us who believe.

For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim;
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.


pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment