Thursday, April 17, 2014

My Gallup Five Strengths

I took the Gallup StrengthsFinder assessment today and these are my five strengths:

Connectedness
Intellection
Input
Learner
Empathy


I am not sure if I totally agree though. I am a very introspective person and I am quite self-aware. So I am surprised at Connectedness and Input. I am definitely a Intellection or Thinking person and a Learner as well, and I agree on Empathy.

Reading on what Connectedness is, it doesn't quite strike it with me. Connectedness people are those who "have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason."

Let me take a closer look:


No, it does not do anything for me.

Let's try again from the report I received after the assessment:


This is better, though I don't enter contests for fun but I do spend time with friends. This sounds like my Intuitive function, based on Jung's personality theory, but I am not sure if I really believe so strongly that "things are linked together for a purpose that may or may not be revealed to me".

I am not sure, and what more, it is my number one strength. Do I not know myself? What I will do now is to think and contemplate on it. Maybe this is one part of me that I have not yet discover. I shall see.

I am also not sure about Input. This may be right but I have not thought of myself in that way. This is what the book has to say, followed by the report:




Alright, even though the book's description does not do much for me, the report does resonate with me. It's just that I never thought of this as my strength. I collect books, printed and electronic. I collect articles that interest me, I've hundreds now in my Pocket app. I intermittently collect quotations. I used to collect recipe books, and box-files and box-files of loose recipes. I collect movies and serials. I collect iPhone/iPad apps. I collect music scores. I collect notebooks, empty and still brand new, because I just love them. I used to collect mugs until I ran out of space. Oh, no...I am bordering on being a hoarder! Okay, okay...I am an Input person. The trick now is to build on it and make something good out of it.

Going through the other strengths, I think Adaptability may be more of what I am than Connectedness is. Here's what the book says about Adaptability:


This is so me. Can I have this one instead?

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pearlie! It's cool that you have been writing about this because I just took this test again - this time for work. I took it about 4-5 years ago on my own and the amazing thing is my 5 strengths were the same
    Positivity
    Connectedness
    Empathy
    Maximizer
    Adaptibility

    I am looking forward to reading what you learned about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia!
    So great to hear from you again. And I must tell you that I have been visiting you once in awhile and loving the photos that you post. How much have the kids grown, eh? :) :)

    Wow...it is amazing to know that your strengths have not changed even after 4-5 years.

    You have the one strength that I have discovered I really want! Positivity - you are definitely great to have around! LOL

    The other of your strengths are high in my list too. Adaptability is my #6 and Maximizer #7.

    How do you see yourself from the dynamics of your 5 strengths? I find that they are manifested quite differently in different people.

    I met a lady in the same training event who has the same 5 as I do, but in different sequence, and I find that we are alike but yet not at all alike, which is amazing.

    Share with me what you do with your report of the top 5.

    pearlie

    ReplyDelete