Thursday, January 13, 2011

Income Tax?

Did you know that you more or less work your first two months for the government, i.e. you pay the government the first two months of your salary in income tax?

I am not sure how I feel about that. For one, the money is needed for the country's development but I've seen too much unfairness and wastage. Hence, I'm not at all pleased to have to pay taxes for it to be wasted.

But I am being reminded what Jesus once said when he was being asked if it is lawful to pay taxes to Caesar.

Matthew 22:17-21
"Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?" But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, "Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the coin for the tax." And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" They said, "Caesar's." Then he said to them, "Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

I have to accept the fact that income tax is a part of life and it has to happen. The onus will be on the government to spend it wisely. I only need to do my part.

More than that, I also have to give to God what is his: in tithes, thanksgiving and offerings. He has provided and given us in the first place.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. But isn't every good thing His? When we pay our taxes we are giving to His work through the government. When we pay the plumber we are giving to His providence over our house. When we tip a waitress we are testifying to His generosity in our lives. When we help the homeless man we witness to His love in our hearts. When we support the gospel we support good news.

    But when we give to bad things we waste His resources. When we gamble we support the addictions of the enemy. When we eat or drink gluttonously we testify of the enemies influence in our lives. When we support religious institutions that are wasteful with His resources we witness to a lack of integrity.

    I guess I am saying that I do not think that managing His resources can be reduced to legalistic numbers and percentages. But I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave me something to think about. You are right -- all good things do belong to him. Just that at times when we see how the resources are being utilised, it really irks us.

    ReplyDelete