Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sentimentalism and the Cross

I am just wondering, can there be any space for sentimentality in the saving grace of the cross? What I mean is, for people who feel unwanted -- not necessarily actually unwanted, but those who just feel down in the dumps -- is there space for, "Hey, but Jesus loves you. He died for you on the cross." Or is the cross removed from sentimentalism and should only be focussed upon strictly on justification, redemption and penal substitution?

In short, does sentimentalism cheapen the cross?

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. I'm real interested in what you think about this, Pearlie. I've asked myself the same as I tend to grow resentful of sentimentalism. It seems to me that most of the letters to the churches in the NT include many of these such sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy,
    It seems to me that most of the letters to the churches in the NT include many of these such sentiments.

    Could you elaborate on this?

    ReplyDelete