Friday, November 06, 2009

The Balance Between Happiness and Depression

It is not going to be easy but I think that to come back to a more sane journey in life for me, I need to be blogging daily again. Why? Because I find it therapeutic to blog. When I blog I tend to think more objectively, not ending up with whining and moaning in my own secret journal about how life practically sucks (pardon my language, I find no better word to describe it).
Interestingly, I read this article in Newsweek a couple of days ago: The Upside of Feeling Down. I am not disagreeing with it but I am not agreeing entirely with it either. As much as there is an unprecedented drive towards happiness in the happiness industry these days, and a call to value depression as a need in life as driven by this article, there must be a balance. One must get a hold on self and not go all out to gain that illusive happiness at all cost, and on the other side, one must not wallow in depression thinking that there is no meaning in life.

There must be a balance and striking that balance is not an easy thing to do.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, THINK ON THESE THINGS."
    Philippians 4:8

    Says it all and from The Word.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you blogging more.. now if I can just get around to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks KB,
    Reading more is quite an unachievable thing to do, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    It took me some time to get back to you on this but the bible verse you quoted has been on my mind - not an easy thing to do either. Whilst I think them, my feelings betray me. And so my keyword has always been trust, trust and trust in the Lord.
    Thanks Susan.

    ReplyDelete