Friday, July 10, 2009

Unless I wash you,
you have no part with me

We started on the Farewell Discourse in the Gospel of John today, and what Jesus said here in John 13:8 is profound: "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."

The lesson usually highlighted in passage where Jesus washed his disciples feet is always about humility. Rightly so, but there is also one point we have somewhat missed -- the fact that according to Jesus, in order to be a part of him, he has to wash us clean. We cannot do it ourselves -- we have to allow Jesus to wash us for us to a part of him.

However hard we try, we cannot save ourselves or make ourselves part of the body of Christ. We have to humble ourselves and let God clean us, and having cleansed, we are welcomed into the family of God.

pearlie

6 comments:

  1. Amen to this Pearlie:

    "We have to humble ourselves and let God clean us"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

    My life verse I might add!!!!!!!! It is ALL His work....from start to finish.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. Didn't see it that way but it is soooo true. It's one of those, "yeah, why didn't I see that before" things, you know.

    Thanks.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kansas Bob,
    I was trying to get this point across during bible study but they were blank faced :D
    I think that there is this pride in us, maybe subconscious that we just would not want to be forgiven or cleansed or even saved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan, and Amen! It is indeed all his work, but I am also figuring out the "being fatalistic" part and of course the "predestination" part as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danesh,
    Good to see you -- I have not been around -- hope you are doing great!

    Yeah, I did not see that until I read Leon Morris' commentary getting ready for bible study. It right there in front of us and we miss it eh?

    ReplyDelete