Thursday, September 18, 2008

Stress

I do not think I have undergone any long periods of stress. I thought I am usually quite cool most of the time, until now. I have never thought much of it before but now I keep having this uneasy heavy and worried feeling with me.

Being a Why and What-Person, I need to know, to understand it. And here is the good ol Wikipedia:

Stress is the consequence of the failure to adapt to change, specifically the inability to respond appropriately to emotional or physical threats to the organism, whether actual or imagined. Common stress symptoms include irritability, muscular tension, inability to concentrate and a variety of physical reactions, such as headaches and accelerated heart rate.

Hans Selye researched the effects of stress on rats and other animals by exposing them to unpleasant or harmful stimuli. He found that all animals presented a very similar series of reactions, broken into three stages. He describes this universal response to the stressors as the General Adaptation Syndrome, or GAS, in 1936.


(c) 2008 David McQuillan

According the the diagram above I think I am already in the third stage. How can I manage then? I have been trying many ways including praying, reading the Psalms, reading some books, watching TV but when it comes to the crunch, nothing helps except praying the Psalms.

The psalm that filled me today was Psalm 31. The last verse surprisingly engulfed me the moment I saw it: "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD."

Thank you God.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment