Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I don't believe in coincidences

I am pretty stressed out lately, to the point that I get panicky at the slightest feel of loss of control. On my way to work this morning, I was rummaging through the new selection of mp3 sermons I had just downloaded. I thought to myself, "Wouldn’t it be nice to listen to Dick Lucas on Philippians?"

Scrolling down the mp3 list, I settled on this series of four sermons by Dick Lucas entitled “All I Want”, and as you would have it, they were his expository Tuesday Lunch sermons on Philippians 3.

The Epistle to the Philippians is my favourite Pauline epistle.

And believe you me, Dick Lucas seem to have that calming effect on me – his tone, his faithful handling of Scripture, his dry wit and his sometimes no nonsense word of exhortation.

My favourite Pauline epistle and my favourite expositor-preacher, combine these two and it should settle me down.

I don't believe in coincidences. God hears our every thought.

pearlie

5 comments:

  1. I don't believe in coincidences either, Pearlie. I believe our every step is ordered by the Lord. How we respond....now that is another story!!!! Our choice to respond in the Spirit or in the Flesh.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philippians is my favourite Pauline epistle too Pearlie.

    I guess that I do leave room in my theology for both natural coincidences and supernatural orchestration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a follow-up to the last comment..

    When Romans 8 speaks of God working all things together for good I think that is what I mean by supernatural orchestration.. he can use natural phenomena to accomplish His will.. which is making us like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, coincidences sometimes do seem to happen but I like to think the sovereign Lord is in all control. So can we say that he will knowingly let things fall into place naturally but that is hardly coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you, pearlie...He really gives us what we need at the right time.

    ReplyDelete