Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Death is sure to be. But after that?


I have been thinking off and on about death lately. I am not sure if it is just me, but this year seem to have more deaths. My strands of thought are two:

(1) Our conjecture about afterlife as God's people differ through the ages, from Sheol, to paradise, to cloudy heaven with angels and harps, to a renewed earth, to a new earth, to whatever next. What makes us think we are right? Does it matter?

(2) Even though we are not sure but we are sure about a definite place. We are firm about the hope. We are definite about the eternal life. I always wonder about non-believers, how can one live without that hope? How do they live with the believe that life is just here on earth and all I am doing now is all there is? I find that so hopeless and meaningless it disturbs me tremendously. God offers life, we need to make a decision to receive it, and it is ours, but it is not without cost.

Note: Picture was taken during a visit to Labuan last year. I have posted them before ... but looking back, in trying to pick one to head this post, I found this one rather dismal - remembrance? That's all? (click picture for a clearer view)

pearlie
Photo © 2007 Pearlie Ng

6 comments:

  1. I'm 100% with you Pearlie.

    Death is a topic which fascinates me (I am working on a fictionalized novel which is an exploration of death - a dark comedy) but not in the morbid sense.

    The only thing that grips me with fear are those who die without accepting the Lord.

    As you know, I've had a dear friend's wife die last year. This year, her husband organized a memorial dinner which was a celebration of her life. We can only celebrate knowing that she is alive with our Father. Forever.

    I'm intrigued by the way you end the post, where you say "but it is not without cost".

    What do you refer to here?

    The cost of discipleship?

    In any case, the benefits outweigh the costs no?

    1 Corinthians 15:54-57 (NASB)

    54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

    55"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"

    56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;

    57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "God offers life, we need to make a decision to receive it, and it is ours, but it is not without cost."

    The cost was paid in full.. all we need to do is say yes to Jesus.. just a simple yes.. and our life changes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but it is not without cost
    I put this one in with double meaning - mainly not wanting to bring up the ongoing debate with it. It takes to mean, God offers life, we need to make a decision to receive it, and it is ours, but it is not without cost, which Christ has paid. But we cannot take it for granted without any sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotcha Pearlie. Understand and agree. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pearlie, I value your opinion on the scriptures. Can you take a look at this and give me your take?

    http://www.photoblog.com/emmetan/2008/06/08/pc---latest-update-2.html

    Please feel free to rebut, correct on her blog as you feel fit.

    It's a long story but one that has been disturbing me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Danesh,
    I've sent you a message. We'll take it offline there?

    Shalom.

    ReplyDelete