Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's off! And I have failed.

Book frenzy!!!

At the rate I am going, the "book-fast" is officially off. Period. And I admit, both Kar Yong and Melissa is right - me on a book-fast? For 6 months? Unbelievable.

The other times I bought books during the "fast" was for TEE assignment purposes but this time, all I did was just to take a walk during lunch and the damage was done. MPH was almost having a "warehouse" sale and I walked into it.

This was the result, but I must tell you, RM258 for 12 books is not too bad, quite a bit of money still but not too bad for 12 books.

First for the boys:


The Night Sky: Discovering the Universe from Alpha Centauri to Quasars , Giles Sparrow, 2006 (rated 5 stars in Amazon.com) - RM20, hardcover


Space Missions: From Spunik to Spaceshipone: the History of Space Flight , Jim Winchester, 2006 (rated 5 stars in Amazon.com) - RM20, hardcover


Big Numbers: A Mind Expanding trip to infinity and back, John and Mary, 2004 - RM15


The Artist and the Mathematician: The Story of Nicolas Bourbaki, the Genius Mathematician Who Never Existed, Amir D. Aczel, 2006 (rated 2 stars in Amazon.com) – RM28, hardcover


The Dance of the Molecules: How Nanotechnology is Changing Our Lives, Ted Sargent, 4, 2006 (rated 4 stars in Amazon.com) – RM19

These are mine:


The Dead Sea Scrolls - Revised Edition: A New Translation, Michael O. Wise, Martin G. Abegg & Edward M. Cook, 2005 (rated 4 ½ stars in Amazon.com) – RM15
I would think this is an excellent find for just RM15!


The Photographers Practical Handbook, Paul Davies, 2005 – RM50
This is the most expensive of the lot. It was on 50% off but I still end up having to pay RM50 for it. I did not have the time to browse through it much but it did look promising ... I hope.

Books I could do without but got them anyway:


The Harmony Silk Factory, Tash Aw, 2006 (rated 3½ stars in Amazon.com) – RM15
I have always thought of getting a copy of this book, being an award winning book written by a Malaysian with a story in the Malaysian context. Now I got one with less than half the price.


Thud! A Novel of Discworld, Terry Pratchett, 2005, (rated 4 ½ stars in Amazon.com) – RM19, hardcover
This was a good catch!


The New Atkins’ Revolution Diet, Dr Robert C. Atkins, 2001, (rated 4 stars in Amazon.com) – RM9
I shouldn't have bothered with this one but at RM9 ...


The Children of H̼rin, J.R.R. Tolkien, 4, 2007, (rated 4 stars in Amazon.com) РRM19 (hardcover)
Oh, this is a good catch as well. I have always wanted one when I saw it in the bookstores.


The Wee Free Men, Terry Pratchett, 2004, (rated 4 ½ stars in Amazon.com) – RM9
We already have a copy of this but at RM9 it will serve us well to be given as a gift later - or if anyone is interested, let me know!

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Hehe ... hate to say this, but "told ya!" :P a bibliophile can fast on other things BUT BOOKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't la be so cruel :( ... :)

    ReplyDelete