Saturday, January 12, 2008

Short of cleaning up

I had a full day today. I visited the family doctor to replenish my medications, I went to the post-office to pick up a letter that was undelivered because I was not home, I prepared for the youth's bible study that I am going to start tomorrow, I went to the bookstore to get some stationery supplies and a few books, watched some television, exercised on the stationary bike for 20 minutes and downloaded some mp3s. If I can also do some cleaning, and a little more reading on the youth bible study, the day would be almost perfect.

Melissa referred me to an excellent blog called Faith by Hearing that posts links to audio preaching and teaching. So far I have downloaded mp3s of Wayne Grudem, DA Carson, John Piper and I am looking forward to listen to this: "How to Listen to a Bad Sermon?" by Dr Ligon Duncan. The link at Faith by Hearing does not seem to work. Try getting it here. Since the only time I do get to listen to anything is when I am driving, I will be converting the mp3s into wave files and burn them into CDs. I also found this collection of audios from D.A. Carson, my favourite preacher and scholar. There is just so much resources at our fingertips now.

I don't watch television much but I found myself scanning the channels for something to watch. I landed on Discovery Home and Health's Downsize Me. It featured an 18 year old boy who eats so much carbohydrates in a day that he weighed 130kg. The programme was about how they got him to eat healthy and to exercise. After 6 weeks, he lost 12kg. While watching the show, I felt so guilty that I have been sedentary most of the time that I got onto the stationary bike and started on it. I would have to make myself do that everyday. That will require a whole lot of will power.


Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive by Jared Diamond
At the bookstore, I spotted this by Jared Diamond. SH had enjoyed his previous book, Guns, Germs and Steel tremendously and I think he will like this too. I was right.


Night Watch by Terry Pratchett
I wanted to try Terry Pratchett and his popular Discworld series. There were only a couple of titles available in the store. I chose this one, but after reading the first few pages, I have problems following the story. Looks like I need to read up some background data before getting back to it.


As for Calvin, I wanted him to improve his Malay Language and it seems one good way is to get him to read books in Malay. I am starting small, by getting him Malay comics. He now loves this series on Doraemon.

The day is about to come to a close but there is still much to do. I thank the Lord for the gift of this day. His goodness and blessings is beyond what I had expected. All praise and honour be to the Lord, God Almighty!

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Pearlie, You had a good day and at the end, gave the thanks and praise to God. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julia, I appreciate you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete