Monday, January 21, 2008

Abraham's Dilemma, God's Providence

It was an extremely long day today. I spent literally all the time I had on facilitating the training session for 20 participants, in giving lectures, facilitating discussions and moderating activities. I did not have much time for anything else. The session for the day started at 10:30am this morning and now at 11:30pm do it get to shut down my brain for the night. (I managed to log into my email and saw some comments posted here – just so you know, I’ve read them and will reply them but much later, when I can breathe again.)

The portion of Scripture for the day was from Genesis 22, on the offering of Isaac. I still have loads of questions concerning this passage but one thing that DA Carson brought up was something that I missed.

Gen 22:12, 14
He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me." … So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided."

When I read the few verses as laid out above, I never saw the Christological significance of it. While Abraham had not withheld his only son from God and God has not withheld his only Son from us for our salvation. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever would believe in Him will not perish but will have everlasting life. Abraham said the Lord will provide and indeed, He has in the form of His son on the cross.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment