Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Holey life


I mentioned before that we build here what we need to bring to heaven. In other words, if we do not grow in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or self-control before we reach heaven, we will really feel out of place when we get there.

I kind of had a taste of that recently when I was in STM, spending 4 days and 3 nights there attending classes. When I was packing at home, I decided not to bring my sandals. I didn't want to bring too many things, which turned out to be a silly thing to do, since I had the space and a pair of sandals isn't going to be that much of a problem. I did not bring it and after settling down in my room, I really felt uneasy and missing something very basic. I managed to borrow a pair but it didn't make me feel any better because it didn't quite fit.

I thought about how I would feel if I hadn't had loved, if I hadn't been graceful, if I hadn't shown kindness and went to heaven. Of course whether or not I would have ended up in heaven if I have not loved in the first place is one big question in itself. But say I got there but with as little as I can bring, how would life be? How would eternal life be? Maybe it would really be like hell.

pearlie
Picture by Rodolfo Clix

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Pearlie, this is an image I can use! It's certainly an idea to consider. It is easier to keep life simple and leave out as much as you can get away with - to one extreme or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah and I am not sure if we can get away with not obeying. I am reminded of these verses which talks about the sin of disobedience but I can't remember where it is found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking around Malaysia in shoes probably felt as hot as hell especially thinking it would have been so easy to put your sandals in. Maybe that's why you came up with the analogy? Oh, but you borrowed ill-fitting sandals which is no better and goes with the feeling out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia,
    We are used to shoes however hot it gets here :)

    ReplyDelete