Thursday, March 22, 2007

Just in case ...


In the midst of meeting deadlines and attending meetings after meetings, we were required to attend a fire briefing, being in Tower 2 of the Petronas Twin Towers.

It is a break from routine though it did make me realise that I am sitting in some kind of a ticking time bomb; I hope it won’t go off.

Some interesting stuff includes the fact that:

1. each of the towers has 14 concrete columns making it hardy and sturdier for any impending you-know-what attacks;
2. the passenger lifts has side doors that can be opened using an alan key for a car-to-car rescue in the case of a lift breakdown which was cool (I actually carry an alan key with me! Don’t ask me why. I just happen to have one);
3. I lost count of how many elevator columns there are in the tower, I thought there were 9 but I think there should be at least 20;
4. they had to rethink the escape plans after lessons learnt from the various worldwide high tower emergencies experience over the years;
5. they have a 3+2 (3-floor evacuation and 2-sandwich floor alert) fire escape plan compared to the usual 1+2;
6. the maximum number of flight of stairs anyone in the 88 floor building has to take in a case of a building evacuation is 42 floors.

We were also brought to the sky bridge for a visit and silly me for forgetting to bring the camera, had to settle for the lesser phone camera.


At the skybridge.


err ... I don't see anything.


yeah ... I am on the Sky Bridge!

pearlie

6 comments:

  1. That is an amazing building. I can't believe I know someone who works there. :)

    Thanks for sharing, Pearlie; that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'd love to see it some day.


    I passed an award onto you. You can pick up up at my site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Milly!
    And I will be waiting for you to come over :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magnificant building. What floor do you work on. We don't have any tall buildings in Tulsa but I have visited the Eiffel Tower in New York, the Sears Building in Chicago and the CN Tower Toronto.

    Thanks for sharing this with us. That's what I love about blogging. We not only meet such nice people but we learn so much and it expands our knowledge and understanding of other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ys, it is such a great thing to share. I am on the 35th!

    ReplyDelete