Friday, February 16, 2007

Honour your father and your mother


It is going to be the Chinese New Year on Sunday, and following its tradition, we must return home to our parents on New Year’s Eve for a reunion dinner. We will be going for a reunion dinner on Saturday with SH’s parents but this evening, we are going to have an “unofficial” one with my parents.

The event has been small and quiet ever since the demise of my grandmother. Those were the times when all her sons, daughter-in-laws and grandchildren will gather together for a meal. She would cook a wonderful meal and the kids (including me!) would have a gala time with fire crackers and fire works.

We are now segregated into our own family units. We have all grown up and things became, well, boring as compared to the kind of fun we had. Nevertheless, I look forward to a time of sharing a meal together.

I found these verses which holds profound meaning in honouring and respecting our parents. God bless them. Save my own family, they are the most important people in my life. I hadn't understood their love until I have a kid of my own. I love them with my life.

Exo 20:12
"Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.

Lev 19:3
Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

Pro 23:22, 25
Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old … your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.

Mat 15:4
For God commanded, 'Honour your father and your mother,' and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.'

pearlie
Picture by Rachel Ward

4 comments:

  1. These are perfect scriptures for my time together with my mother!

    My children have been learning about the Chinese New Year at school and have been very excited to learn some songs and phrases in Chinese.

    Have a wonderful time with your family. I hope you find it "exciting" this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year again, Pearlie. It sounds like a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy,
    Cool ... what songs and phrases did they learn - I am now curious.
    Gong Xi Fa Cai?

    Thanks for the wishes!

    ReplyDelete