Sunday, September 10, 2006

Being faithful to the Word of God


Our church leader came to my friend and I several weeks ago with the proposition to share with the congregation 10 minutes on the importance of reading the bible. I agreed because we live in a time too full of things that crowd out God's words in our lives. The three of us will take one Sunday each, and I was the first to do it today.

Matt 13:18-23
"Hear then the parable of the sower: When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty."

I did not share with them Matt 13:18-23 but just one verse: "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" (John 14:15). The gist of the sharing is this - if we love our God, the test is our keeping of his commandments, but if we do not read His Word, then how do we know what to do? There are basically 3 excuses to not reading the Word of God.

1. It is boring
Question: remember your first date? Didn't you open eyes and ears to all that he or she has to say and didn't you replay it word for word when you turn in for the night?
Jesus said, if you love me ...

2. It is difficult
Question: do you have kids? Is raising kids easy? But do you still do it with all your heart?
Jesus said, if you love me ...

3. I don't have time
This is what I call the worst excuse, almost criminal to be uttered.
Question: do you have 24 hours a day? Have you not segregated it for important things and unimportant things? Have you not dedicated it to people you love and people you don't even like?
Jesus said, if you love me ...

Maeghan
Picture by Warren Hrycun

1 comment: