Saturday, September 09, 2006

Bangkok Day 4: Talk, Rush and Wait


The conference continued with its final leg today with separate departmental sessions, after which it was a complete rush to the airport. We need to check in 2 hours before, and with the infamous Bangkok traffic gridlock, we have very little time. We were rushed into a van and given packed lunch to eat on the way. Driving in Bangkok would be pretty scary - there were several near misses that had my face cringing in anticipation of the dreaded sound of an accident.


Air Asia has its delays. I was told that a friend had his flight delayed for 6 hours! I think maybe there is a 50-50 chance of a delayed flight with Air Asia, with my experience of one out of two. Our flight was supposed to be 3:15pm at Gate 43. After waiting more than 1 hour, we were told that the departure gate for the flight has been changed to Gate 12, which is right at the other end of the airport. We rushed in a frenzy to the other end of the building thinking we need to get there in time for check-in only to realise that the flight has been delayed to 4:30pm! Arrgghhh!

On our way into the waiting l0unge, I enquired the airline staff about the boarding time - 4:00pm they say. At 4:30pm, we were still waiting, the plane's docking area still empty. I think it was at 4:50pm when we saw the plane slowly taxiing itself into place. By the time we took off, it was well over 5:00pm.

It was pretty well into the night when I arrived. I took a shuttle bus from the LCCT to KLIA, got into the ERL train and headed back into the city. My husband and son (by now already asleep in the car) picked me up and even though I had a great trip, I am really glad to be home.

Maeghan
Head picture by Leon East, airport picture from www.cityblogger.com

ERL - Express Rail Link
KLIA - KL International Airport
LCCT - Low Cost Carrier Terminal

Posted 10 Sept 2006

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a frenzy of walking, shopping, and talking. Oh, and eating. I bet Calvin was glad to see you. Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup ... back to life, back to reality ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frenzy is right!

    Hope you got the good stuff, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am no longer much of a shopper unless you take me to a bookshop, so I just got some souveniers and some simple blouses. The thing is that I did go to the bookstore and came back with 5 books!! LOL

    ReplyDelete