Friday, August 25, 2006

Arminianism, my thoughts


I really do not know where to start on this big subject that has occupied much debate space over the last centuries. The few questions that Codepoke brought up stumped me as well, though if given a good thought over it, they can be answered. But that "good thought" may take a long, long time!

According to the tenets of Arminianism, if humans are naturally unable to make any effort towards salvation, then how is salvation possible if God's election is conditional on faith in Jesus? How can someone take that step of faith if they are naturally unable to make any effort towards it? But if someone can do that, then it would be a salvation by works, will it not? But have I not already established that faith is not works? Do I find myself chasing my own tail with all these questions?

And as Codepoke has raised, if in human’s fallen state, the free will towards good is wounded and weakened, imprisoned and destroyed, how then can man have free will to respond or resist? But if man do not have the free will to respond and resist, why the calling to repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near?

Maeghan
Picture by Kym Parry

No comments:

Post a Comment