Monday, January 22, 2018

Monterey Day 6: It’s a book day, it’s a tsunami watch-night

My son starts attending classes at campus today and I’m all prepared to spend the day on my own. 

I returned the rented car in the morning and got back to the AirBnB where I planned to accomplish four things today: 

1. Read my bible
2. Read a book
3. Catch up on my blog
4. Revise my language flash cards

I only managed to do one, that is, I read a book. 

I did try to blog but I couldn’t upload any pictures and I gave up. 

One thing I have not mentioned is this: when I first arrived at Monterey, we walked to Target and I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. 



I know I have too many devices already but I have always wanted an e-ink reader. Amazon does not deliver to Malaysia and now that I’m in the US, I will never forgive myself if I don’t get one. 

And so I did. 

And I finished reading a book today, which was also much needed and relevant for my current situation in trying to adjust to a new life chapter of an empty nest. 


Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus’ Name
by Bryan Chapell

I have blogged about the book before and I’m glad that it is timely that I continued reading it in Monterey. 

And I’m loving my Kindle!

But the day is not over. 

I have not really been sleeping well but when I did and  for whatever reasons I still could not figure out why, I woke up at 1am and checked the weather app. 

Was it a sub-conscious act? Why would I check the weather app at 1am when I am suppose to be fast asleep?

Because when I tapped on the app, the weather alert was marked red. I tapped on it and there was a tsunami warning alert. 

What? 

I was wide awake by then and I found out that there was a magnitude 7.9 earthquake in Alaska that prompted a tsunami warning for Alaska and most of the Canadian coastline (marked red in the map below), and a tsunami watch for the US coastline right down to California and where I am (marked yellow).



I spent the next three hours checking the news and update alerts, and also reading up on what I needed to do should I receive a notice to evacuate. 

I tired out by 4am and fell asleep. I woke up at 5am to check on the alert again and found that the tsunami watch has been lifted. Phew!

Wow...what an adventure for me, and all the time still lying in bed. 

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment