Sunday, May 28, 2017

Guard your heart above all else



The sermon today was taken from Proverbs 4, and as I was reading it in the NLT version, the message was so clear.

Proverbs 4:20-27 NLT
My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don't lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body. Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. Avoid all perverse talk; stay away from corrupt speech. Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. Don't get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.

The paramount message is to guard our hearts. And guard it above all else. This is because the heart determines the course of our lives.

I find this a very good and timely reminder for me to check my heart every moment, every day, to make sure that it is set firmly and closely to the heart and word of God. I get so easily distracted and I forget who I am and what my purpose is as a child of God. 

So this is a firm reminder for me -- guard my heart above all else, for it determines the course of my life. I put my heart in your hands, Lord Jesus. Cleanse it and teach me to follow you all the days of my life.

Amen. 

pearlie

1 comment:

  1. I wrote something today that reminded me that spiritual growth is evidenced by the things that we do unconsciously.

    ReplyDelete