Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Am I being too ambitious?

My colleague and I were discussing about learning the Chinese language and she suggested I should go to the small bookshop in the mall where our working place is and buy some children's books in Chinese to read. 

Before I could do it, she herself went to the bookshop today and bought these two books so she can read it to her 4-year old daughter. 

But in the meantime, she lent them to me.



The books are pretty simple...well, of course, they are children's books after all. I could easily read the first page, without the hanyu pinyin, with no problems at all. 



Then I began thinking maybe I should be more ambitious. I remember reading Gabriel Wyner's Fluent Forever where he suggested that intermediate language learners should try reading the Harry Potter series in the chosen language. 

Well, I don't think I am intermediate yet. I'm more in the beginner-intermediate level but why not I thought, there's no harm trying. 

So I went hunting but I couldn't find the Kindle version of The Philosopher's Stone but I did find this. I bought it since it's also on sale at $1.99. 


分歧者 Divergent
by Veronica Roth

I could read the first line with a little help from the downloaded Kindle Chinese-to-English dictionary. 



But I don't know if I am being too ambitious. I think I will try to spend at least 30 minutes a day to read as many pages as I can. And even that, I think it would be a miracle if I can finish it in a year...if I can last a year, that is. I am not sure if I can even last a week! But let's not think that. 

Let's see how it goes...keeping my fingers crossed. 

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment