Monday, April 24, 2017

My Movie Binge

We have a declared public holiday today and I decided to stay home to catch up on some things. I also managed to catch up on some movies that I have missed. In fact, I actually kind of had a movie binge. 

Firstly, I watched La La Land. With it being so highly rated, and after winning so many awards, I was really looking forward to watch it. My verdict? A huge disappointment...big time. It started alright but by the time I got to the middle of the movie, it got so boring and so sluggish I couldn't finish it. I fast forwarded to the end, and I'm done with it. My good friend Wee Yin commented that in this epoch of superhero movies, the younger viewers may have found a musical refreshing. But we more senior ones who have watched much higher standard musicals like Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, or  even Fame, La La Land to us just do not make the cut. 

La La Land ★☆☆☆☆


Unsatisfied, I had to watch something good and decided on J.K. Rowling's Fanstastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I have not been very keen to watch Eddie Redmayne lately, probably because he is everywhere, appearing in so many movies in a such very short period of time. But this movie was so entertaining, I had so much fun watching it. I love the characters. It could have been much better if there were more character development of the beasts themselves. I am really looking forward to the next one with my all-time favourite actors: Jude Law and Johnny Depp.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them ★★★★☆


Having found myself on the roll watching movies, I picked Deadpool as my next one. It was fun, though some of the jokes sounded kind of stale to me and I found the violence a bit too much. But it was nice to watch pretty boy Ryan Reynolds in this rough and tough character. 

Deadpool ★★★☆☆

I then finished it off with Kubo and the Two Strings, which turns out to be the best of the lot. It is an amazing stop-motion movie that took them two years of filming on a 12-foot table and 3D printers. I think they did use some form of CGI as well, and one huge giant monster that wouldn't have fit the table. The plot is good, acting voices excellent, dialogue homorous and deep at times. It's a must watch.

Kubo and the Two String ★★★★★

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment