Wednesday, January 25, 2017

If you want your music, use your earphones

I have a colleague who plays music from her computer at work and it really irritates me. I feel that we need to respect each other in the space that we share, including the-what-I-shall-call-it the "sound space".

Maybe I am more sensitive to sound. I once found out about being 
misophonic and that it really irks me when people watch videos or plays music through their smartphones in public areas, that I had to be exposed to the sound pollution.

Why I think it is important to respect each other's space is because we all live and operate together in the environment we are in and we need it to be optimal in order to be productive. 

One good example was what happened today: I came back to my cubicle from a stressful meeting and I needed to get something settled quickly. As I logged into my computer, what I hear playing in the air was Bach's Toccata and Fugue!

Take a listen here, if you don't know it, and you will know what I mean. 


I couldn't concentrate because the music made me even more stressed with its feel and tempo. I could literally feel my pressure rising.

Why can't we all practice a no-music-but-silence office space with each other? If you want your music, use your earphones.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment