Thursday, October 27, 2016

Another worship song off from my list

 
I was singing Christ is Enough by Hillsong Worship this morning when I suddenly noticed the first line of the song that goes, "Christ is my reward". 

I used the word "suddenly" here because even though I have known this song and have been singing it for months now, I only just noticed it. It proves that my brain is usually so bombarded with so much information that I inadvertently filter most of it away.

I think I am more aware now because I am currently reading Visual Intelligence, Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life by Amy E. Herman, which I will do a book review when I finish reading it. For now I can say that the book is very good and if you would like an e-copy, now is the time to get it while it's still on sale at $2.99 in Amazon.

While reading the book, I learnt about really seeing and observing things, and while you can't actually "see" a song, I became more aware of the words used. 

When I was singing Christ is Enough, I was visualizing the words as I go and suddenly, I realized that the first four words of the song "Christ is my reward" goes against what I believe as a Christian. 

How can Jesus be my reward? For one, I don't even deserve anything from God if not for his grace. As such, I don't deserve any rewards like I've earned something. What I do get from God, is a gift by his grace. 

And what more, "Christ is my reward" is objectifying Jesus, who is God himself, and that is not right. 

Moreover, now that I am looking at the song more carefully, I find that the lyrics are like a mesh of words and pat phrases that do not really fit that well together. 

It has a good tune but I will have to remove the song from my list of worship songs to sing. I also need to pay more attention to the words of the songs I like. 

It's amazing how I can miss it so easily. 

pearlie 

No comments:

Post a Comment