Monday, May 02, 2016

I am a nerdy Doctor Who fan

Let me first rant a bit. I am not very happy with the latest Season 9 of the Doctor Who series. I fell asleep halfway today watching the first episode, and it is very rare thing for me to do that while watching TV. Then I sort of half-watched the subsequent episodes including the absolutely boring Zygon Invasion and the so ridiculous Sleep No More. The only ones which were a bit more interesting were The Girl Who Died and The Girl Who Lived. I have three more episodes to go and I'm not sure when I will get the mood to watch them.

My Top-3 Doctor Who Episodes
Anyway this is what I want to blog about today: of all the 2005-reboot season episodes of Doctor Who, I have my top 3 here, which I would like share with you. I have included short clips below. If you have not watched this sci-fi series before, do watch these clips, or at least the third one; seriously, it's really really good. 

The Empty Child (2005)
Starring Christopher Eccleston, Billie Piper, John Barrowman, Richard Wilson, Florence Hoath

This episode is an eerie one but so eerie it's so good. It is set in London in 1941, during the Second World War. The story goes around a boy who wears a gas mask. Anyone who touches him will have gas masks grow out of their faces. And he goes around asking people "Are you my mommy?", which became an iconic phrase in Doctor Whodom. 

Blink (2007)
Starring David Tennant, Carey Mulligan, Freema Agyeman

This episode surely sits on the No.1 position in all best-episode lists out there, being one of the best time travel story of all times. The plot knits itself very well together and for a time travel story it actually make sense. And it involves the really heart-stopping Weeping Angels who would come after you when you blink or close your eyes. Watch the clip above and notice the Weeping Angels changing their positions as the scene progresses. And as you watch it, don't blink!

Vincent and the Doctor (2010)
Starring Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Tony Curran, Bill Nighy

And of all my three favourite episodes, I can watch this one over and over and over again. The colours, the emotions, the warmth, the art, it's just so fantastic. Tony Curran played fabulously as Van Gogh and Bill Nighy was just too precious as an art expert. Watching this makes me happy. If I had a tired and depressing day, this would be one of the things that lift up my spirits, and yet not running away from the reality of life, just as it was sadly with Van Gogh. "Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things but vice versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

pearlie 

2 comments:

  1. Brings back memories Pearlie. We began watching when Eccleston took the role. Loved Tennant. Liked Smith but kinda lost interest as the series went on. Do not watch anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I really like Eccleston and loved Tennant. I adore Smith as he is as quirky as the two before. Capaldi is too different. Not quirky enough.

    ReplyDelete