Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What's the point of reading?



I am getting myself back into reading alright, finishing two books two days in a row, and now getting comfortable with another one. (The trick is to keep reminding myself to stay away from the TV and iFlix.)

But I was thinking about the 164 books that I have read over the past 4 years and realised I don't remember much of what I have read.

So what's the point of reading?

Wouldn't it be more useful if I could retain all that I have read like a eidetic? Although being an eidetic isn't a bed of roses either. But at least it would be good if I could have a better memory of all I've read.

I think the key to this is to think and talk about the books. And as much as I am no longer reading print books where I could pen down notes, I must make it a point to do so digitally in the ebooks I read. And writing book reviews would also help.

I most probably will not be reading many this year but I should read with an intention to retain as much as I can -- all in the pursuit to be more knowledgeable and more importantly, to be wiser.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Yes. That for sure. But I tend to forget what I read so easily. Case in point - I read the second installment of The Giver and just a few days later when I started reading the third book, I completely forgotten what happened at the ending of the second book and had to go back and re-read. Just a few days!!!

    ReplyDelete