Saturday, August 08, 2015

I would never commit adultery?

Recoiling from the numerous accounts of adultery both of renowned Christian leaders and those closer to home, I begin to wonder why and how it could have happened for each of those person.

Adultery is both a public and private sin. Private in that it's between a husband and wife with the relationships, the family and lives it breaks and public in the sense that for Christian leaders it can break a church and the lives of its members, and on top of it a bad testimony to Christ.

So why? Why do people succumb to it knowing that the cost is oh so high?

I believe that it is the attractiveness of the temptation. Inasmuch as I kept telling myself I will never do such a thing, after I read an account here by a Christian woman, I wondered that given the circumstances, would I also fall into it.

I wondered if someone actually did come along my path and the "romance (that) had slipped away, (which) I never thought about its absence until it suddenly reappeared...in the form of silly cards propped against my coffee mug, flowers tucked under my windshield wipers, and Post-It notes tacked to my computer screen...(the act of) being pursued—and (that) it felt good," will veer me off course to take up the extra-marital relationship to fill the chasm I have or thought I have, not fully in cognizance that only Christ can fill it.

Of course I'd dismiss and say there will not be anyone. I mean, who would be interested in me? But that is when you think it's impossible, it will be the perfect strategy for the evil one against us.

She said, "I still don't fully understand what caused me to do what I did," and "Christians, like everyone else, are vulnerable to temptation. And I understand that a marriage, even a good one, requires constant nurturing to sustain it."

And on top of that, our marriages need Jesus in it, in our own personal relationship with him, and in our relationship with each other.

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

...sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it. Genesis 4:7b

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Thought provoking Pearlie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adultery is when a man looks at a woman with a desire and vice versa. So, make the conclusions. Look in here proof-reading.services Be careful!

    ReplyDelete