Saturday, July 11, 2015

The World of 1 Corinthians

Our church will be looking at 1 Corinthians both in our sermons and CG bible study materials.

I have done 1 Corinthians before in my classes but I have forgotten most of it and it will be good to get into it again. With that, I went searching for the commentaries I have which I can read and refer to.

Too bad the Preaching the Word series do not have a volume on 1 Corinthians yet.

But I have these in electronic form:
- 1 Corinthians, Tyndale New Testament Commentary by Leon Morris
- 1 Corinthians, Augsburg Commentary on the New Testament by Roy A Harrisville
- 1 Corinthians, Anchor Yale Bible Commentary by Joseph A Fitzmyer

And these in print form:
- The First Epistle to the Corinthians, New International Greek Testament Commentary
- 1 Corinthians, Crossway Classic Commentary by Charles Hodge

As much as I needed those books in class back then, I'm feeling it's an overkill for the context I'm in right now.

But as a true bibliophile, I went looking for more! And I found this book which I remember Rev Dr Kim Kar Yong, my lecturer was using during class:


The World of 1 Corinthians: An Exegetical Source Book of Literary and Visual Backgrounds
by Matthew R. Malcolm

I have enjoyed the historical background study in all my biblical study classes, and this book should be a gem to have. What more, Malcolm states that, "In recent decades, 1 Corinthians has perhaps received more investigation and speculation regarding historical backgrounds than any other biblical book."

I will certainly be planning to buy a copy of this book real soon.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment