Friday, June 26, 2015

Back to The Economist after 15 years



I started to read The Economist rather inadvertently, when I graduated in 1991 with a degree in economics, not realizing that it's more on public affairs rather than economics, which is a good thing because I have gained much in my general knowledge and my command of the English language by subscribing and reading the magazine, usually cover to cover, for at least 10 years if not more

I can't remember how much I paid for it then - most probably in the range of RM180-200 per year. When the rate went up and up and up, I decided to stop my subscription. It was getting too expensive.

I have been wanting to resubscribe but with the annual subscription priced at RM600 and more, it is not justifiable to do so.

But now, one and a half decade down the line, the price of the digital version is almost similar to its print edition back then. And I thought why not.

So I just renewed my subscription, the digital edition, for just RM300 a year, so much less than the print at RM650 and print + digital at RM780.

But much have changed since then - the world at large, the media industry, the medium itself, the reading pattern. What more, I have obviously changed at well. I know a bit more, I understand things a bit more and I have access to more information. The reading experience will definitely be different and I certainly look forward to it.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment