Thursday, April 16, 2015

Chronic Complainers

I so needed this article today because I finally concluded that this one person i was with is a complainer.

Who is a complainer? Here is how Dr Guy Winch describes it in comparison with optimists and pessimists:

Optimists see: A glass half full.

Pessimists see: A glass half empty.

Chronic complainers see: A glass that is slightly chipped holding water that isn't cold enough, probably because it's tap water when I asked for bottled water and wait, there's a smudge on the rim, too, which means the glass wasn't cleaned properly and now I'll probably end up with some kind of virus. Why do these things always happen to met.

But the thing is I usually see the good in people and so I just nodded as he spoke and then I changed the subject several times before he goes into it again.

I must watch myself too, lest I complain too much in my engagement with others.

pearlie
Source: Psychology Today

2 comments:

  1. This Stephen Hawking quote speaks to one of the detriments of complaining:

    People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is true. I was actually thinking exactly the same thing --reduce my time spent with that person-- but that won't be very nice thought I thought.

    ReplyDelete