Friday, March 27, 2015

I'm becoming a worrywart

I realize that now that I am older, I worry—a lot.

I don’t remember worrying much when I was younger. I have been commented on several times back in my school and university days that I was always so cool in stressful times that I actually am the envy of my classmates.

Not anymore. I find that I worry a lot. But then I also realize that the more I worry, the worse things become.

And so I have resolved myself to stop worrying and trust in the Lord.

Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.
~ Leo Buscaglia

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
~ Phil 4:6-7

pearlie

6 comments:

  1. "I don’t remember worrying much when I was younger."

    I relate to that Pearlie. When I was young I thought that "bad" things did not happen to "good" people. At least I did not think that it would happen to people that I love so much. Watching my first wife die, my kids react to her death with drugs and other bad behaviors and living through this last season of wheelchair disability has not helped me to not worry.

    On the flipside, it does not seem to matter if I worry or not. Life happens and the only thing that I can sort of control is how I react when bad things happen. Perhaps finding joy in the little things is all we have when the big things are so bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I reminded you of your difficult times. We do live in a world of pain and suffering, each in our own ways and each in our little corner of the world. But I'm joyful that we have the hope that only Jesus can give. Sometimes we do feel like we are losing control but I would try to remind myself to surrender to God on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, you didn't remind me of something that I struggle with (and worry about) every day.

    It is one of the reasons that I am not a Calvinist. Do not know what I would do if I believed that God was sovereignly "controlling" all of the pain that I daily experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...I always thoughts from the posts that I read of you that you are a Calvinist. Now that we brought this up, how's the book I got you?
    And you might be interested to read Roger Olson's blog and I just briefly read through his latest post here which you may find interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering why you would have thought me to be a Calvinist Pearlie. My posts about God not being a micromanager and ones that speak to my how I do not attribute earthquakes and the like to God conflict with a Calvinist POV.

    I have not begun the book. Been fighting migraines since January and have had a difficult time reading the book that I am doing a class on after Easter.

    I hope to begin the book once things settle down. I do wonder if I am an Arminian though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...must an impression I had from some previous conversations. But I do remember you "becoming less Calvinist" lately though of course I had thought you were one.
    Sorry to hear about your migraine. Do take care...and when you find the time to read the book, then maybe you can decide if you are an Arminian :)

    ReplyDelete