Thursday, February 05, 2015

Four Good Books

After finishing those three books over the past two days, I am on a book roll and again started to rummage for good titles I can spend the next few days in.

These four books crossed my path.


Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
by William Poundstone
I found this in my Goodreads.com book recommendation. I checked it out in Amazon and after reading the first few pages, it did not catch on to me. But I will certainly come back to it when the mood is right.


Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
by Edwin Catmull and Amy Wallace
I then thought it would be a good time to read this book I already have. But halfway through the first chapter, I found that it's not the voice I want to listen to for now. But it will be good to read in the right time - I love Pixar movies and it might help me with my work (but I suspect most of it will involve decisions not in my power to make.)


The News: A User's Manual
Book

by Alain de Botton
This is another book I got myself recently but I have not dug into it. I wanted to but I suddenly thought of a title I particularly noticed when I glanced through my book list moments before.


Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters
by N.T. Wright
I can't remember when I bought this book. It must have been when I was author-shopping, which happens once in a while. Author-shopping is when I read and loved a book by an author, I'd go and purchase a whole lot of his other books all at one go. I'm settled with this book now for my current read. I have just begun and it looks to be a really good book.

Look out for my review in the next few days.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. I loved how you said, that's not the voice I want to be listening to for now! So true sometimes. I love NT Wright. I haven't read his books YET but I hope to. We heard him speak here in GR once and he was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I was reminded that you lived in GR when I checked you out in FB and actually thought what a nice place to live in with the good books coming out of that place and here you are talking about hearing NT Wright speak. I can count the number of good authors I've listened to in person in one hand -- only three, DA Carson, Ravi Zacharias and IH Marshall -- in the number of years I can't fit in my two hands. Haha. Wish I'd hear Wright in person.

    ReplyDelete