Friday, October 17, 2014

Vietnamese Egg Coffee

I finally tried to make Vietnamese Egg Coffee and it wasn't half bad! I'm quite happy with the results. I made it during CG supper time today and it was quite well received.

This was how it turned out. The only thing I was not happy with was that I was not able to get the egg beaten well enough. It was not as frothy as I would like it.


This was my first Egg Coffee in Pho Co Cafe, Hanoi in year 2012. It was good, but the arduous climb up the stairs to the roof--at certain spots even rickety, dark and dank--kind of took the fun out of it.


Then I made my way to Giang Cafe, Hanoi. This was a much better experience and the coffee was much better.




I sure wish I were back in Hanoi to taste the authentic Giang Cafe Egg Coffee, but what I had made myself in CG this evening was good enough.

I shall certainly try it again.

Here's the recipe if you would like to give it a try. I've adapted it from Legal Nomads.

Vietnamese Egg Coffee
(Cà Phê Trứng)


Ingredients
1 egg
3 teaspoons of Vietnamese coffee powder or brewed Vietnamese coffee
2 teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk
Boiling water

Instructions
1. Brew a small cup of Vietnamese coffee.
2. Crack an egg and discard the whites. Put the yolk and the sweetened condensed milk in a small, deep bowl and whisk vigorously until you end up with a frothy, fluffy mixture.
3. Add a tablespoon of the brewed coffee and whisk it in.
4. In a clear coffee cup, pour in your brewed coffee, then add the fluffy egg mixture on top.
5. Pour hot boiling water in a small bowl and place the cup of coffee in it. This will keep your cuppa piping hot as you enjoy it sip by sip.

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. It was nice and fun to make too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jesscet :) I enjoy making it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the macho guys that put an egg in their beer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...only macho guys take raw eggs? But I think we are more open to raw eggs over here. I am not sure why we aren't so concerned about salmonella risks. Maybe all our eggs comes from the store ;)

    ReplyDelete