Friday, May 23, 2014

Just joking? Puhlease...

I was searching for verses in Proverbs on fools and foolish talk when I found this:

Proverbs 26:17-19
17 Whoever meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a passing dog by the ears.
18 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death
19 is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I am only joking!"

I am interested only in v.19. This is because I used to have this person who always does that and it irritated me to bits.

He will usually talk to me condescendingly or disparagingly. When I give him a distasteful look, he realizes he said something he shouldn't have. He does not apologise but conveniently excuse himself by saying, "I'm only joking."

I used to get so mad and thought of him as someone who is not gracious enough to admit wrong. Worse, he laughed it off irresponsibly as a joke.

That was many years ago, and reading these verses brought back those memories. Forgive and move on, I know. Just that it is interesting that it is in the bible.

Now I can use it! Though I don't see him anymore. But good to know.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment