Friday, April 25, 2014

Toxic People

I find it very difficult to be in the presence of toxic people. And since the way I deal with things sometimes is to intellectualise it, I checked out quotations about them, but I find the quotes not very kind.

These are the better sounding ones (source: www.goodreads.com):

People appear like angels until you hear them speak. You must not rush to judge people by the colour of their cloaks, but by the content of their words.
~ Israelmore Ayivor

Someone who smiles too much with you can sometimes frown too much with you at your back.
~ Michael Bassey Johnson

The biggest distraction in life to one's focus is often near locus standing people saying all hocus-pocus.
~ Anuj Somany

I try my best to keep an arm's length with toxic people, and whenever I can, to walk out of the room, trying hard not to roll my eyes. But that is when they are bitching about other people and I happen to be in the periphery.

When I am in the thick of it however, it will be extremely hard to manage and it will definitely stress me out, especially when I cannot "leave".

I am more in the "periphery" sense of it now. And I did managed to extricate myself from a toxic relationship some years back.

So I suppose I need to be thankful it is now the former and not the latter. Only that I really need to stop rolling my eyes.

pearlie

5 comments:

  1. Love the title of this post Pearlie. Wonder how you might describe a toxic person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) they are those who spew toxins and poison wherever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, negative people or critical or ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of it. There are many kinds of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about folks who are too positive or are always posting cliches on FB?

    ReplyDelete