Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A sucker for fonts

I am a sucker for fonts and I once collected over a thousand different kinds.

We know that Microsoft replaced its Times New Roman default font to Calibri in its Office 2007 for Word. The same with the default Arial in PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and WordPad. Since the change, I am not sure if I like it - sometimes I do, sometime I don't.

I was working on a document form at work today and it began to irk me. It just does not look right.

Over the years, in the organisations I have worked in, the official fonts for serif and san-serif were usually Times New Roman and Arial respectively. I don't mind Times New Roman but began to hate Arial. It looks too plain and crass.

So if I compare between the more usual available fonts - so that documents sent out to the others will look the same as I prepared them - which will I use?
Arial: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Calibri: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Verdana: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Tahoma: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Georgia: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Cambria: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
Times New Roman: The fox jumps over the lazy dog
I prefer serif over san-serif anytime and my all-time favourite font is Georgia. The new Microsoft serif font Cambria isn't too bad either.

But instances where I need to use a san-serif font, I'll just stick to the default, i.e. Calibri. And looking at the ones above, there isn't much of a choice.

pearlie

No comments:

Post a Comment