Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Getting old

I am invincible. That was what I thought until I came to the realization now that I am indeed getting old.

I used to give no thoughts to my health and bodily functions and capabilities. I did get sick of course, but nothing I could not fix with enough rest and medication.

But I can't have that outlook anymore. I am getting warning signs in various parts of my body that it is certainly wearing down.

"For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down -- when we die and leave these bodies -- we will have a home in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long for the day when we will put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will not be spirits without bodies, but we will put on new heavenly bodies. Our dying bodies make us groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and have no bodies at all. We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by everlasting life.

God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit. So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. That is why we live by believing and not by seeing. Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. So our aim is to please him always, whether we are here in this body or away from this body."
~ 2 Corinthians 5:1-9 (NLT)

pearlie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    Have to admit I am not so young anymore! But I think I know what is the cause of the latest complications - my new gym activities :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I began a practice of getting an annual physical in my 40s. Because of that the docs caught hereditary hemochromatosis and may have saved my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, that is good practice. I do go for physicals but quite erratically. I shall begin to do it annually beginning this year.

    ReplyDelete