Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bcc:

I had a good discussion in the office with my colleagues today. I had ask one of them to work on an office email etiquette guideline and mentioned that he should include a guideline on bcc: (blind carbon copy).

It is my practice that I do not use the bcc: unless I bcc: all the recipients in my email. My colleague asked me why, and I told him that I have encountered situations where it got awkward when someone did not realise that he was a bcc: recipient and proceeded to send a reply to all the intended recipients.

My colleague did not believe me and insisted that a bcc: recipient will not be able to reply to all except the sender.

He did a test and got his answer.

So, never send an email with bcc: recipients unless all of them are bcc: recipients. If you really need to send an email secretly to someone, send the email proper to the intended recipients first and then forward that copy of email to your secret recipient.

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. Broadcasted emails can so get us in trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly can, and in many ways. I've had my share of boo-boos, that I am now super careful. Sometimes I find myself going overboard in checking and rechecking, and rechecking, my email before hitting send.

    ReplyDelete