Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Eternity of God

Lord, you have been our dwelling place
in all generations
Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
~ Psalm 90:1-2

Our God is everlasting, eternal. Eternity is something hard for us to fathom. We are too bound and limited by time. I find the concept of time quite mysterious - I find that there are two possibilities. Either there is no present time, only past and present - the moment you think are at that present moment, it is gone, past and moving onto to future time that almost immediately become the past. Or there is not past or future, it is present, now.

As much as I don't even fully understand time let alone eternity, it would be an amazing thing when I am finally in God's eternal presence. I am not sure if God's eternity is temporal or nontemporal, though I am leaning more towards to former. But whatever it is, I am glad that God is eternal and is operating out of our limitations. He is from everlasting to everlasting God, no beginning and no end.

pearlie

5 comments:

  1. Occasionally I think about the ways that traditional theology is built on two unproven foundations.

    1) Time will exist after we die. Doubtful if will be in the presence of God who exists outside of chronological time.

    2) All humans are born immortal and have something that will survive death and live into eternity.

    Just a few thoughts triggered by your thoughts about eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Bob, you posted this comment in July!!! Something must have gone wrong somewhere when my comments became moderated - somewhere either in blogger or my brain! Haha...my apologies for the delay, and no wonder my blog has been so quiet lately...it's like everyone deserted me! Or maybe I have instead.

    About your two points, I am a bit confused (I blame it on the hour...it's midnight here...hehe): do you hold on to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what you are asking me Pearlie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said, "Occasionally I think about the ways that traditional theology is built on two unproven foundations.
    1) Time will exist after we die. Doubtful if will be in the presence of God who exists outside of chronological time.
    2) All humans are born immortal and have something that will survive death and live into eternity."

    So I am wondering if you do hold on and agree to those two points that time will exist after we die and all human are born immortal.

    I think #1 can be possible though I will never know until we are there and as far as #2 is concerned, we are an eternal being, hence "immortal". We can therefore face eternal life or eternal death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might want to check out these two KB posts and the comments to get a sense of why I see those as shaky foundations to build on ...

    Are all humans immortal?

    Does time exist after we die?

    ReplyDelete