Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Dying to self?

Someone said this to me sometime ago as something I needed to do - die to self - and I have been keeping mindful of that lately.

However, I know that we weren't commanded to die to self in the Bible. It is the denying of ourselves that was the command. It is the denying ourselves of our desires of the flesh and being dead to ourselves. We are alive because Christ is risen, we are not dead.

It may be just a matter of semantics. I found someone writing about it here.

What do you think?

pearlie

2 comments:

  1. I think that the more important message is that our innermost being must be nourished and strengthened sufficiently so that it can trump the desires of the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be nourished and strengthened on the inside require a denying of self - but you are right too in that a strengthened spirit can trump the desires of the flesh. It is a chicken an egg story? So I think it has to happen together -- the strengthening and the releasing of self to God.

    ReplyDelete