Thursday, June 02, 2011

Office Space...What Space?

The term "office space" has now become an oxymoron. How so?

I was reading a book that included a section on office space that intrigued me. Let me quote:
In an article for Fortune (March 22, 2006), Julie Scholosser reviewed how cubicles were faring thirty years after Robert Propst released his prototype for the enclosure. The article, "Cubicles: The great mistake," noted that Propst, like investors of tools used in warfare, despised the office culture that grew out of his contribution. Scholsser compared the cubicle to crabgrass that persists in growing despite its lack of popularity:

Reviled by workers, demonized by designers, disowned by its very creator, it still claims the largest share of office furniture sales -- $3 billion or so a year -- and has outlived every "office of the future" meant to replace it. It is the Fidel Castro of office furniture.
I started working since 1991 and have worked in many different forms of office. I have had my share of cubicles in several offices...


...and whilst I still prefer the room, of which I had two in my working life...


...it got down to hot-desking, but everyone claimed our place religiously and thus goodbye to hot-desking...


...but it got worse and I ended up with just having a space in a conference table packed with 7 other people, all working closely together, elbow-to-elbow proximity-wise, all in different areas of work...


...and all I would ever dream of, is a home office...


...although I don't think I will survive with the television and refrigerator so close by.

pearlie

Source: Laurie Helgoe, Introvert Power, Sourcebooks, 2008

1 comment:

  1. The information in the post you posted here is useful because it contains some of the best information available. Thanks for sharing about used office furniture ocala fl. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete